Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My celiac story...

 
I was Diagnosed with Celiac disease in May 2009
 
and this is MY Celiac Story:
The problem started way before I ever went to the doctor and my symptoms only worsened as the years passed. I want to say I started getting sick when I was 15 years old, but I over looked it because I figured it was just me being cautious about my weight. In October 2008 (20 years old) I went to the doctor because I was constantly having shooting pains across my stomach and chest. I told her I was throwing up and in constant pain. My doctor had no clue what was going on and said “hey, maybe its acid reflex.” So she gave me medication for acid reflex and sent me on my way. The medicine didn’t work… (Well did you expect it to work?) I continued having issues such as Vomiting, constipation, bloating, ect. Honestly it's not something I would brag about . I hated constantly running to the bathroom after I ate gluten...at one point I thought "am I pregnant what the heck is wrong with me?”
In April 2009 I found a new doctor (a Gastroenterologist) who saved my gluten-filled life! I remember it like It was yesterday...we sat down in a small room and I listed all of my symptoms 

+ Abdominal cramping
+ Intestinal gas
+ bloating in my stomach
+ Diarrhea
+ Constipation
+ Large weight gain (even though I was throwing up) 
+ migraines and headaches
+ weakness 
+ Joint pain 
+burping (alllllll the time)
+ vomiting

And more I remember the paper was filled from top to bottom.
He told me it sounds like you have an allergy. We're going to need to run some test. The next week I went back for my upper endoscopy (basically they stick a small camera down your throat and check out what's going on in your body)
I woke up from my procedure screaming "I had a dream!!!" Lol I'll never forget the look on their faces. The nurse came over and handed me a grape juice box. Shortly after my doctor came to my side with the news....he said "I noticed some irritation in your stomach you may have celiac disease.... (Doctor say what????) He started explaining the irritation in my body and said he would be sending me to quest diagnostics for some blood work. then we can confirm that it is or isn't celiac disease.
After going to quest 5x's no Exaggeration and my blood work was complete ( test IGA and IGG ) the doctor called me and confirmed what I already knew deep down in my heart...."Elizabeth you have celiac disease all you need to do is cut gluten out of your diet and you will be better" (2 weeks before my 21st birthday) NOW WHAT??????? I guess I just have to be Gluten Free…Easier said the done. Stay tune for my next blog 
xox Eli
 Ps. I would love to read about your celiac stories or gluten free adventures feel free to email me at eli.felix717@gmail.com