Monday, April 22, 2013

Now What?


Now what?? I’m on a Diet for LIFE! (I say that all the time. It drives my friends crazy.)

Now that you know my celiac story...here's how the beginning of the rest of my gluten-less life happened and is still happening....

Well it was hard and sometimes It still very hard when I can't have a normal priced pizza or Cuban pastries. I could list all the food I miss the most but then I will just make you hungry and make myself upset.

The grieving stages (anger, depressed, acceptance)

Angry & depressed
Looking back I wish I could have told y’all that I kicked butt at this GLUTEN FREE LIFE from day one.
The first couple of months living Gluten free I was completely lost. I felt so alone. I thought to myself… “Nobody knows what it feels like to have celiac disease” (all that cry me a river...play a violin type of attitude...Not my finest hour.)  I was so angry that I couldn't eat anything I would normally eat. So I stuck to salad mixed with tuna and GF Italian dressing. The smell of bread disgusted me to the point I couldn’t walk down the bread aisle in the supermarket. Don’t even get me started on how many times I ruined RICE PASTA!!!!! (I still do…I make corn pasta instead.) I would cry in the middle of a restaurant if a they messed up my order. I was a serious mess!!!! (I apologize now to all my friends and family who had to deal with me during my crisis.) It was a dark time for me.(I know it sounds dramatic but seriously it was.) (At this point you are either thinking I’m a complete nut or you feel my pain.)  well if you knew me before Celiac disease you would know.... I LOVE FOOD and trying new foods. My freedom of food was taken from me I was so angry and depressed. Normally when people get depressed they eat? What the heck was I suppose to do??  Be depressed and starve!? yup and for the first couple of months thats exactly what I did.
 
Acceptance 
I slowly started accepting celiac disease. I checked out websites such as.             
·         www.celiac.org.        
·         www.celiaccentral.org
·         www.triumphdining.com

I goggled everything! (still do)
I got a whole bunch of apps for my iPhone.
And books :) I did my best learning as much as I could. I mean it's my life I got to live it right?

  I also joined a support group
 (They broke up quick I have no idea why) it was nice having people understand what was going on. It was nice to feel like I wasn't alone. That is why I have created this blog. Just so you can feel a sense of support and understanding. I hope this blog helps.

I promise my next blog will be longer
Xoxo Eli

*-Tell me your thoughts-* what would you like to read about?